Friday, December 12, 2008

Wall Street...



DOWNTOWN RECAP
After crossing the Brooklyn Bridge we made our way into downtown, including the Financial District as well as Ground Zero. My first impression was how small and narrow Wall Street was. It was actually closed to traffic. It was quite festive for the holidays including a Christmas tree, Hanukkah menorah and Kwanzaa kinara. This is also the spot where I lost my glove. Grrr... and Brrr...


Ground Zero was good to see. It was hard to grasp what was actually lost and how enormous the towers were. They're finally making progress, which you can see in the photos. It'd be pretty depressing if they were still big holes seven years later.

This area was chuck full of beautiful architecture and history including the original city hall (which seemed tiny to it's neighbors.) The Manhattan Municipal Building, lovely building-- not so lovely name! And tons of cool old-school churches with graveyards. It was one of the more touristy areas we visited, but still a distant second compared to the crowds at 30 Rockefeller Plaza.

As far as the Statue of Liberty is concerned, I got great views of Lady Liberty. The option was thrown out that I could take a cruise for a much closer look. Since it was freezing out I opted to forgo the boat ride until a unplanned-as-of-yet-NYC-visit in a much warmer month. (Remember I was missing a glove by this point.) And that's New Jersey over there... closer than I thought.






(The front was tooo crowded. No jokes that involve 'tea' please!)

No comments: