Monday, August 3, 2009

Love List - July Edition...


Drunk Guys, Drunk Girls, and
12 Other Things That Jammed my July.
.


1. (500) Days of Summer
Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love. Girl doesn't. You're warned up front that this is a story about love... but that this is not a love story. 500DoS is the first movie in a long time that just resonated with me. I couldn't... and can't stop thinking about it. It's easily made it's way on my all time favorite list. And the soundtrack is equally amazing.
.

2. True Blood: Season One
on DVD
Vampires are all the rage these days! (See!!) While I never jumped on the Twilight bandwagon (phew!) thanks to Netflix, I have become a fan of this bloody good HBO series. I was pretty much hooked after watching the fascinating opening credits (best since Six Feet Under). So head on down to the dirty south and catch up with the vampires and the fang-bangers that love them. Season 2 is airing right now, but I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

3. Tim Burton's
Alice In Wonderland
I know, I know, this movie isn't technically coming out until next year but already my excitement runneth over. The seed was planted once I saw the amazing Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter teaser posters. I know where I'll be come March. I'll be checking out Tim Burton's vision for Alice and company. He can do no wrong in my book.
.

4. Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme
Candy Bars
Damn these. Damn them to hell. 'Nuff said.
.

5. The Hangover
This is one of the funniest flicks of the year! It took me a while to get around to seeing it but it was well worth the wait. Weeks after the release date our desired show time was still sold out, so we got stuck with the late showing. It was hilarious from the very start to the VERY naughty ending credits. If you're the type of person who would go wild and crazy in Vegas, this movie might be right up your alley. If not, there's always Ice Age 3.
.

6. The Castro
One of the reasons I love San Francisco is because of all the diverse neighborhoods and districts that make up the city. They each have a unique feel and their own energy. The Castro has to be my favorite and a spot where I spent a lot of time on my most recent trip to the bay. Shopping, restaurants and people watching a plenty. I can't wait to go back!
.

7. Elase Medical Spa
This may or may not come as a surprise, but I've got Italian genes. So whoever came up with the idea of a membership program with monthly fees instead paying huge amounts up front was genius! I've had hair removal treatments years ago that were long and painful. Honestly, Elase is amazing... less than 15-minutes and no pain at all. Lasers have come a long way. And soon enough I'll be a little less Italian. But just Italian enough...
8. Coke Zero
Smith's Market Place is partly to blame for selling 2-liter bottles for only 69¢. The cheapskate in me is also responsible for stocking up like it was the end of the world. Point is, this was my water this month-- and I was enjoying every delicious drop of it.

9. Spring Breakdown
I pretty much willing to bet you never heard of this movie. I hadn't. I don't even know when it was out in theaters. Translation: I don't think it did very well at the box office. Which is a damn shame. Parker Posey + Amy Poehler + Rachel Dratch = Comedy Trifecta. The story of three women given a second chance to experience Spring Break could have been a disaster, but thankfully it wasn't. These funny ladies had me in stitches and the movie had some great one liners. Also, Jane Lynch as a Sarah Palin-esque Texan politician was golden, as always!


10. Gina Barberi's Morning Walks
Who knew that a simple desire for fitness by my favorite radio DJ would become one of my favorite new segments on Radio From Hell(!) I have yet to walk mile through downtown with her, but I did drive by the same day that Bill had a salsa band to follow Gina and honked in support. One of these days though, for the exercise of course, and potential prize too.


11. Simon's Cat
The simple black and white animation about a cat and his owner had me in stitches. With two black and white cats of my own, (Shout Out to Mo and Mit!) I could totally relate. Watch them here. My favorite is Cat Man Do and Fly Guy. All you pussy lovers out there will surely agree. Meow!
.

12. My New iPod Nano
I've been rocking my dinosaur of an iPod (not-so) Mini since 2004, but it was finally time to retire and upgraded to it's much sleeker cousin. I love it for it's slender ways and it's multi-colored screen. And I've been on an unofficial iTunes binge, filling it with some great new music. Made saying goodbye to the Mini that much easier.
.

13. Brandon Bryant
He may have only taken home the silver, but the Salt Lake contestant amazed me all season long with his mad skills. He totally deserved to win. So, yah, I sooo think he can dance.


14. MadMenYourself.com
Promoting their upcoming season, AMC has created a new website that magically transforms you into a Mad Man character. And really, the 1950's makeover automatically makes anyone, myself included, at least 10% cooler.

No comments: